On this episode of the Hello Blink Show, we welcome Jermaine Murray as our special guest to discuss best hiring practices for a company and how a startup can go about recruiting top talent. We ask Jermaine about his experiences that led to founding his own recruiting firm, JupiterHR, and about his role at TandemLaunch.
Additionally, Jermaine tells us about his personal experiences growing up and how early experiences with STEM can help keep kids, especially minorities, interested in tech.
One Powerful Quotation:
- 56:23 – Jermaine: “How you manage your business is how you manage your relationships with your customers, your employees, and with your investors.”
- 1:28 - Jermaine talks about his work as a recruiter.
- 2:27 - Shawn asks Jermaine about TandemLaunch, a startup incubator in Montreal.
- 7:09 - Jermaine discusses running his own business, JupiterHR, and how he focuses on recruiting members of the Black community into tech jobs
- 9:15 - Shawn asks Jermaine about his inspiration for starting JupiterHR
- 12:47 - Jermaine talks about how his experiences led him to helping companies recruit talent and create a more diverse workforce
- 16:08 - Jermaine expresses how education (formal and informal) can help create a safe culture at work and curb microaggressions
- 19:38 - Jermaine mentions that the 2020 goal for JupiterHR is to help 100 Black jobseekers find employment with tech companies.
- 20:47 - Harris asks Jermaine about his thoughts on companies being more deliberate to hire from a diverse pool of applicants.
- 23:31 - Jermaine discusses the need for a better education system for low-income communities in the United States and Canada and how that can help with diversity in STEM.
- 25:04 - Harris and Jermaine talk about the importance of cultivating a safe work culture
- 30:51 - Shawn and Jermaine talk about how accountability starts at the top of an organization when it comes to creating a workplace culture
- 31:00 - Shawn asks Jermaine what companies can do to attract top and diverse talent
- 35:41 - Shawn and Jermaine talk about how a small company can compete with large companies when it comes to attracting talent
- 37:10 - Jermaine talks about his podcast, the “Launch” by TandemLaunch, which focuses on running startup companies
- 40:23 - Shawn asks Jermaine what steps companies can take to get a more diverse set of applicants when posting a job opening
- 42:30 - Jermaine talks about how companies can donate to and volunteer at organizations that help with social causes, such as introduction STEM to low-income schools
- 48:24 - Harris asks Jermaine what smaller companies can do to show that they care about diversity.
- 50:37 - Jermaine shares his experiences growing up and how he emotionally connects to the Black Lives Matter movement and protests